HELP FEED HUNGRY CHILDREN IN YOUR AREA WITH USDA’S SUMMER FOOD SERVICE PROGRAM
Children need good food all year long, even when they’re not in school. The SFSP provides Healthy Meals to children and teens ages 18 and younger, free of charge.
- Every summer millions of children go hungry without the nutritious meals served at school
- Texas has the highest rat of children facing hunger in the nation
- One in 5 Louisiana children younger than 18 does not have enough food to eat
- Hunger makes children higher risk for obesity!
- The USDA wants to feed more children for longer periods during the summer 2011!
What is The Summer Food Service Program?
Children need good food all year long, even when they’re not in school. The Summer Food Service Program provides healthy meals to children, age 18 and younger, free of charge.
The Summer Food Service Program:
- Feeds low-income children in the summer
- Gives a boost to public and private non-profit summer programs
- Helps give low-income children the best start on the new school year.
What will my organization do as a supporter?
As a sponsored site, you will have an arrangement with another organization that is approved to administer the program.
Your sponsor will determine if your site is eligible, recruit and train the staff and volunteers, arrange for meals to be prepared and/or delivered, and monitor your site. Your sponsor will provide staff and management, recruit volunteers to facilitate meal services and activities in accordance with USDA/SFSP guidelines, keep your site clean and sanitary, and store food appropriately.